The 4.5 Stage of Development (Strategist)
Subtle. Collective. Interpenetrative
At this active, prioritizing stage, you have moved beyond the exploration of multiple voices and contexts of the 4.0 stage and have clarified your sense of having a central authentic self with confidence. You have a perspective that brings to it's awareness all that has come before, and in so doing, can look into the concrete and subtle past and see its trajectory. You apprehend the generational experience of grandparents, parents, self, children and grandchildren, and the changes and differences between the cultures and contexts that each generation has been shaped by. Thus you know that you may plant a seed now, which may not blossom in your lifetime. This is the first stage where you can see your own transformations through time, and you will naturally understand this transformative change without any understanding of developmental theory.
Having observed this developmental trajectory, you can clearly see that there will likely be levels beyond the one you inhabit, so you may deliberately engage in transformational approaches, taking on many different practices with great energy to support your own evolution, tracking what you do to improve, to grow up and wake up. You may also be very interested in supporting others (and the world!) to evolve, whether or not others have that desire for themselves.
People at the 4.5 stage can thus see themselves as curators of developmental approaches for themselves and others so you may not be shy about sharing all you know to be true. You may find yourself interrupting, and monopolize the floor with your prodigious subtle knowledge, if not externally, then internally within your own mind. This is a subtle form of fundamentalism that repeats from the 2.5 stage. You may not easily see that there are others who may know more than you do-thus this stage may culminate with the greatest flair of the subtle ego, which is generally unconscious.
Because you recognize that people are at different developmental stages, you may have developed the capacity to speak compatible languages for each one; however you may sometimes attempt to be presentable to everyone in your space, and thus lose some of the color and contours of your own being and knowing. This happens as a result of taking care not to alienate anyone who has a different worldview while simultaneously trying to move your passionate projects forward.
In the 4.5 stage, prioritization and hierarchical distinctions between the developmental levels of people and contexts become apparent. You can step outside of contexts, outside of complex systems and outside of the developmental trajectory to look at a long view. Standing outside of contexts and seeing how they shape individual lives that are within them, you realize that, rather than being had by these contextual containers, you can "have" them, and actually begin to create appropriate containers for people, depending on their capacities and needs.
Like the 2.5 stage you will have a code of ethics, but rather than concrete rules, you engage with an evolving set of principles with which you seek to discern the best course of action. This includes an ethic around developmental rights where you accept every stage as a necessary aspect of growing up and can allow each Person their worldview as long as they do no harm.
People experiencing this stage
- See interpenetration at the subtle level. You are me, and I am you, subtly. Subtle interiors and exteriors, subjects and objects come together through the seeing and understanding of projections.
- See the social construction of reality and prioritizes contexts. Some environments, containers and systems are better than others.
- Focus on one's own development in order to increase their capacity to work with complex contexts and systems and serve their purpose.
- Operate in a time frame that encompasses past and future generations.
- Situate in a space that includes sentient and planetary concerns. They can prioritize approaches for the benefit of humanity, the planet, and all living things.
- See complexity too great for simple plans and goals and guide themselves by an evolving, principled code of ethics which they use for discernment purposes.
- Embrace paradox and projections as unavoidable.
- Adept at creating containers that support the shaping of different developmental visions, resulting in personal and collective transformations across different levels of development.
- Seek feedback as essential to development. Understands that communication includes projections, but sees them upon reflection.
- Sees developmental rights-the right to be developmentally at whatever stage one occupies as long as they aren't hurting anyone else (a guiding principle).