4.0 Stage of Development (Pluralist) Up-shift from 2.0 Rule Oriented.
Leaders experiencing this stage tend to have these gifts
- It's about a subtle "we".
- Experience subtle both/and mindset so encourages reciprocity.
- Foreground collective collaboration and inclusiveness, yet allows independence.
- Learns from others, and develops self, and others
- Engage those they lead non-hierarchically: Not a "boss"
- See others potential, so they challenge and motivate those they work with
- Visionary, and can see many perspectives, but doesn't prioritize them
- Sees how self and others are shaped by their contexts, and thus all ideas and knowledge is relative.
- Can give feedback and empower others.
- Tend to support emotional development
- Experience a time frame that includes parent and children's lifetime; 10+ years forward and back, yet oriented to the "now."
- Embraces all sentient life. Context awareness may lead you to protect environment.
- Aware of assumptions, interpretations, ambiguity, paradoxes, judgments, intuitions, internal voices, subtle energies, which may take on a life of their own.
- Work with complex adaptive systems non-hierarchically
- Values diversity of viewpoint.
- Welcome feedback as necessary for self-knowledge and to uncover aspects of their subtle self which others can see and share.
- Seek to discover and be their authentic self: challenge assumptions, expectations, and societal conventions.
Leaders experiencing this stage tend to have these challenges
- Can't easily prioritize contexts
- Process is foregrounded over goal orientation
- Gets mired down in decision making. Everyone gets a voice
- Excessive meetings
- Everyone is equal so may have trouble with assessing accountability.
- Overly permissive
Pluralist Tools: Non-Violent Communication; Appreciative Inquiry; Dialogue; collaboration.